The recording is available on iPlayer: https://lnkd.in/gmHrn9a
There was certainly some lively debate when I appeared on Question Time (20/5/2021), but also some alignment on the key topics of the day.
The QT50 audience are really committed, intense and awesome asking us:
– Should we abandon trips abroad?
– Did the government fail by not closing borders to India when they had the chance?
– Is great British Rail just another headline-grabbing gimmick, or will it actually make travel cheaper and more efficient?
– Can importing beef and lamb 12,000 miles away really be seen as sustainable, sensible, and a good deal for British farmers?
– Should the UK and the international community be doing more to help Israel and Palestine find a meaningful, long-lasting resolution?
I felt honoured and strangely nervous to join the BBC’s flagship political audience participation show & wanted to share my learnings as we all embrace many different new challenges.
I Can Still Be Daunted!
The huge live video wall of wonderful passionate people took me by surprise, more daunting for me than a live audience. Despite great preparation from the best in the business, I felt I could have answered the travel question better (see comments for my revised answer!)
Male Advocacy Matters
It was v welcome and appreciated when Nadim Zahawi MP said my name in responding to a question twice thus encouraging and recognising me. Always so simple but v powerful.
People Are Interested in Women’s Clothes
I made a bet with Nick Thomas-Symonds MP that there would be Twitter comments about clothing choices.
Work With The Best
Fiona Bruce was so professional. She spoke v warmly & authentically to all participants equally pre show, no airs or graces, just interested and interesting. In the show itself she was highly efficient & quite pointy getting me, despite my nerves to answer the exact questions!